Monday, March 9, 2009

An Advertising Teaching

Before I went off on that pharmacy rant a few weeks ago, I actually intended to make that whole post about things I've learned in advertising. I thought this one would finally make good on that promise but now I'm not so sure. I'll give it a shot though.

Probably the number one most interesting thing I've learned is sort of a no brainer. But an interesting one. I came across it researching for a pitch a few years ago. I was trying to learn what makes a business or company decide to locate in a given community. There was a whole list of criteria (way more important than this one thing and I am guessing related to tax breaks and monetary incentives) butI cannot recall any of them except this one.

One of the things some companies look at when assessing a community is whether or not people leave their shopping carts out all over the parking lot. At the grocery store, Wal-Mart, Target and other stores. That simple action says a lot about what people think about their community. Nothing says I don't care like shopping carts all over the place when there are plenty of proper places to put them. I don't care if this cart causes someone to have to park somewhere else. I don't care if it rolls into another car in the lot. I don't care that this parking lot looks like a minefield. I can't be bothered to either put it in the corral (even though I am close enough to it to comfortably walk there) or walk it inside. Other people have left theirs, so I will too. I don't care.

I am a rule follower, so I have never been the type to leave my buggy out in the lot. I don't care if I have a baby in tow or if it's raining or both, I put that thing in the corral. And if I am two spaces away form the entrance, I actually walk it in back to the store. Ever since I learned this little nugget it always makes me sad to see buggies out in a parking lot. I'm sure those people really could care less about what they've done and it may seem insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

But to other people an action like that is very significant. It says something. About you and what you think about the community you live in.

I can't really do much about other people's actions and there will always be people who will leave their buggies out in the lot. Such is life. But I hope there will always be plenty of other people who care enough about where they live to grab the handle and push those wayward buggies where they belong. Even if no one is watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment